1 1/2 lbs
asparagus, trimmed to 6-inch lengths
olive oil, divided
herbes de provence
fresh ground pepper
onions, thinly sliced
puff pastry, thawed
gruyere, shaved with veg peeler
- Heat oven to 375°F Line 2 large baking hseets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large bowl toss asparagus with 1 Tbsp oil, the herbes, salt and pepper. set aside.
- Heat remaining Tbsp oil in skillet and saute onions over med-low heat until browned and very tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- On a lighlty floured surface, roll out one sheet of puff pastry to form a 10x15 inch rectangle. Trim a 3-inch wide strip off the bottom side and the right side, (and save pastry strips) to form a 7x12 inch rectangle. Then cut that rectangle into 3 even 4x7 inch pieces.
- Brush a 1/2 inch border around the edge of each rectangle with egg. Cut the trimmed strips into 6 1/2-inch pices and use them to form a crust around the edge. Repeat the process with the second sheet so that you have 6 rectangular crusts.
- Divide up the onions down the center of each pastry.Neatly arrange the asparagus stalks on each pastry, on top of the onions, tips all facing the same direction.
- Bake at 375 F until the pastry is puffed and golden. brown, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with shaved gruyere and fresh ground pepper if desired.