1 lb ham seasoning or 1 lb
1 1/2 medium
bell pepper, chopped
garlic cloves, minced
Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
( or more)
additional breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter 13"x9" baking pan.
- Peel and cube eggplant. Boil in just enough water to cover until very tender; drain well and set aside.
- Using a food processor, process ham until coarsley chopped; set aside.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, fry together onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- Add basil, salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika and reserved ham, stirring well. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Turn off fire.
- Add eggplant, mashing well and breaking up chunks.
- Add to the eggplant mixture 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; combine.
- Turn mixture into prepared baking pan, smoothing top.
- Sprinkle top with the additional breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake 350 degrees about 20 - 30 minutes or until crumbs and cheese on top become slightly browned.