onions, thinly sliced
garlic cloves, sliced
flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Toss the chicken thighs in half the spices and a pinch of salt until completely coated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saute pan with a lid.
- Fry the chicken, skin side down, for 10 minutes until golden brown, then turn over and cook for 2 more minutes before removing from the pan.
- Pour the rest of the oil into the pan, then fry the onions and garlic for 8 minutes until golden.
- Stir in the rest of the spices, then cook for 1 minute longer.
- Pour over the chicken stock and scatter the olives.
- Bring everything to a boil, turn down the heat, then sit the chicken, skin side up, in the stock.
- Cover the pan with a lid, then simmer gently for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- Lift the chicken onto a plate and keep warm.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Stir in the juice of the lemon and couscous into the saucy onions in the pan. Top up with boiling water, if necessary, to cover the couscous.
- Place the lid back on the pan, then leave to stand for 5 minutes until the couscous is cooked through.
- Fluff through half of the parsley and lemon zest, then sit the chicken on top.
- Scatter the remaining parsley and lemon zest on top before serving.