onions, thick french cut
( I use a mix of red, yellow, white and sweet )
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
black pepper, to taste
French baguette, sliced
monterey jack cheese, sliced
- Melt butter in a stock pan.
- Add onion, cover and sweat for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and molasses and stir well. Cover and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well to evenly distribute and avoid flour lumps, this will take a minute or two ( I add the flour a bit at a time to stop it from clumping).
- Add beef broth, wine (if using), Worcestershire and pepper. Cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Put a layer of cheese on a baguette slice for each bowl of soup you will be serving. Bake in a 400°F oven until cheese has melted and starts to slightly brown.
- Place baguette slice in bowls and ladle soup over.
- Enjoy, I personally add more black pepper when I eat this.