ripe plantains, the skins must be black
( brown sugar crystals)
freshly squeezed orange juice
salt & pepper
( to garnish)
- Peel the plantains and cut them crossways into slices 2.5cm thick.
- Lay each plantain on a large sheet of foil, keeping the slices together so they stay in their original shape.
- Smear each plaintain with the butter (or dot it over if it's hard) and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Make a gondola shape round each plantain with the foil, then pour over the orange juice and grind salt and pepper on top if using.
- Wrap the foil completely round the plantains so they're securely sealed inside. (You can prepare to this stage up to 24 hours ahead.).
- Put the foil parcels on the barbecue rack and cook for 30 minutes until the plantains are softened (to check if they're ready, open a parcel and test with the point of a knife).
- Sprikle with salt, pepper and cinnamon.