onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons
finely grated fresh ginger
long-grain white rice, such as jasmine
1 (15 ounce) cans
kidney beans, drained and rinsed
scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
( or habanero chilie)
1 (14 ounce) cans
unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 cups
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and ginger and cook over med. heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until coated with the oil.
- Stir in the kidney beans and Scotch bonnet, then stir in the coconut milk and water.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 18 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in the scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- Discard the Scotch bonnet and serve.