( about 3 lb )
fresh ground black pepper
handful dry tarragon
garlic cloves, to taste
( (or more)
( peeled, (or more)
( for sprinkling )
broken pecan pieces
- For chicken: Preheat oven to 400°F
- Wash inside cavity and outside of chicken and pat dry. Rub cavity with cut side of half a lemon and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fill cavity with tarragon, rosemary, garlic cloves and onions. Truss and tie chicken.
- Pull up skin, press pecan bits into chicken breast and pull skin back into place. Make sure not to break skin.
- Pour 1/4 cup of bourbon over chicken and place it on its side in oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes, turn to other side, add remaining bourbon, baste and roast another 20 minutes.
- Turn again, baste and roast for another 20 minutes Check to see if it is done.
- If not, cook to your liking, continue cooking but do not overcook.