plantain, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
( ripe, with black sports or all-black skin)
fresh pineapple, chopped
vegetable oil, for frying
- Place plantain in medium saucepan; pour water over to cover. Boil plantains for 10 minutes. Drain well; transfer plantains to paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg, in medium bowl. Whisk together milk and egg; add to flour mixture. Mix until smooth. Stir in plantain and pineapple until blended.
- Pour oil into deep saucepan or skillet to depth of 1-1/2 inches. Heat to 375ºF.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry fritters for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once with slotted spoon.
- Transfer fritters to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle powdered sugar over them, if desired. Serve warm.