hot Italian sausage
extra virgin olive oil
celery rib, diced
garlic cloves, minced
ground black pepper
- In a colander, toss the eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Remove the casings from the sausage.
- In a large, shallow Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the sausage, breaking up any large chunks.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain the fat from the pan.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, celery, garlic, oregano, pepper, eggplant and remaining salt, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, breaking up with a spoon.
- Return the sausage to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 35 minutes.