brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup
1 1/4 cups
tart apples, peeled and sliced
( I use Granny Smith)
- Combine flour, brown sugar, butter/margarine and oats; set aside 1 cup for the topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 9 inch pie plate; set aside.
- For the pie filling: combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth, bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in apples and vanilla.
- Pour filling mixture into crust and top with the 1 cup crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.