chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
1 1/2 lbs
waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
Spanish onions, halved and thinly sliced
extra large eggs
chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
1 cup grated manchego cheese or 1 cup
other hard cheese
salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a 8-inch non-stick frying pan and fry the sausage until golden brown and cooked through. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- 2.Add a further 2 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the potatoes and onions for 2-3 minutes, turning frequently (the pan will be very full).
- 3.Cover tightly and cook over a gentle heat for about 30 minutes turning occasionally, until softened and slightly golden.
- 4. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, parsley, cheese, sausage and plenty seasoning.
- 5. Gently stir in the potatoes and onions until coated, taking care not to break up the potato too much.
- 6. Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper and heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil.
- 7. Add the potato mixture and cook, over a very low heat, until the egg begins to set. Use a metal spatula to prevent the tortilla from sticking and allow the uncooked egg to run underneath.
- 8. Preheat the grill (broiler) to high. When the base of the tortilla has set, which should take about 5 minutes, protect the pan handle with foil and place the tortilla under the grill until it is set and golden.
- 9.Cut into wedges and serve garnished with parsley.