( for greasing)
1/2 cup cornflour (see recipe description) or 1/2 cup cornmeal (see recipe description) or 1/2 cup
( see recipe description)
eggs, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar or 1 cup
unsweetened desiccated coconut
frozen raspberries, thawed
( reserve 1/3 cup liquid)
6 cups icing sugar or 6 cups
pink food coloring, to color
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F). Grease and line a 4cm-deep, 23cm x 28cm lamington pan (1.5" x 9" x 11") with butter and baking paper, allowing the paper to overhang edges of the pan slightly.
- Sift flours together into a large bowl three times.
- Beat eggs and caster sugar in a mixer on a high speed for 5 minutes until mixture is thick and pale, then scrape into a separate bowl.
- Sift flour over egg mixture and gently fold until just combined.
- Spread mixture into a lamington pan and bake for 28-30 minutes until pale golden and sponge springs back when touched in the center.
- Cool in the pan, then cover with a tea towel and set aside overnight.
- NEXT DAY:
- Turn out sponge, trim edges and cut into 24 squares.
- Spread coconut over the base of a baking tray.
- MAKE ICING:.
- Crush raspberries in a bowl with a fork, stir in 2 tablespoons of boiling water, then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sieve raspberry mixture into a clean bowl, discarding solids.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl.
- Combine 1/3 cup of raspberry liquid and 1 cup of boiling water, stir into icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in enough food coloring to reach desired color.
- Dip one sponge at a time into icing, turning quickly to coat and allow excess to drip back into bowl.
- Roll in coconut and place on a wire rack to set.