1 1/2-2 lbs
fish fillets, such as striped bass, turbot, grouper, skin on
kosher salt, to taste
fresh lemon juice
extra virgin olive oil, divided
baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
vidalia onions, finely chopped
( or other sweet onion)
crumbled saffron thread, divided
sweet paprika, divided
( preferably Spanish smoked)
minced fresh parsley
- Sprinkle the fish fillets with salt and arrange in a flat-bottomed bowl or pie plate.
- Pour on the lemon juice and let it sit.
- In a shallow, ovenproof casserole, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add the potatoes in layers and sprinkle each layer with salt.
- Turn the potatoes to coat with the oil and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the onions, 1/8 teaspoon of the saffron, and 1/4 teaspoon of the paprika and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the potatoes are almost tender, 15-20 minutes, lifting and turning the potato mixture occoasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain the fish and arrange over the potatoes.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the fish and sprinkle with salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon saffron and 1/4 teaspoon paprika.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the fish is just cooked through.
- Serve right from the casserole dish or transfer to dinner plates and arrange the potato mixture around and over the fish.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.