extra virgin olive oil
( I buy the pre-washed and ready to eat spinach)
( to taste)
( to taste)
1 1/2 lbs
Italian turkey sausage
( casing removed)
crushed red pepper flakes
( 1 teaspoon if you like it hot!)
1 (15 ounce) cans
Italian stewed tomatoes
( drained and chopped)
1 1/2 cups
whole wheat penne
( or pasta of your choice)
- In a large 12 inch deep fry pan or skillet, cook spinach and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook until spinach is wilted (approximately 5 minutes).
- Transfer spinach to cutting board to cool. When cool, chop spinach.
- In hot skillet, add the other tablespoon olive oil.
- Add chopped zucchini.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook until lightly browned (about 3 minutes). Set zucchini aside.
- Turn heat to medium high.
- Add sausage and crushed red pepper.
- Cook until browned (about 7 minutes). Drain if you like; I don't because turkey sausage is generally pretty lean.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, and half and half.
- Cook on medium high for ten minutes; reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, boil water and cook pasta.
- Drain pasta (do not rinse) and add to sausage mixture.
- Cook on low for about five minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.