sweetened flaked coconut
unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Adjust the rack to middle position.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with 10 paper cupcake liners.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup of the milk; set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade shred the coconut flakes for 30 seconds.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the eggs and sugar together with a wooden spoon.
- One by one, add the cornstarch mixture, remaining milk, coconut, melted butter and lemon extract, stirring well after each addition. (Make sure to stir frequently to keep the coconut well distributed.).
- Ladle the custard into the paper cups, filling to 1/4 inch from the top and give it an extra stir.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the coconut is nicely toasted.
- Cool completely in the tin before serving.