- Pick over the currants, removing leaves and poor berries but do not stem them.
- Put currants in a colander and wash well.
- Pour into a pot and mash well with a potato masher.
- Boil until the berries become a mush and allow to drip through a jelly bag overnight.
- Do not squeeze the mash if you want sparkling, clear jelly.
- Next morning, measure the juice and put an equal amount of sugar into another vessel.
- Warm the sugar in a very slow oven-- about 150 F to 200 F-- for 1/2 hour or so.
- Heat the juice to the boiling point and pour over sugar into another container.
- Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Do not cook mixture.
- Instead, pour into glasses while still hot.
- It will jell perfectly.
- Seal the glasses with 2 thin layers of paraffin and a lid.