1 1/2 tablespoons
garlic cloves, minced
8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups
other chicken stock
potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons
6 ounces linguica sausage or 6 ounces chorizo sausage or 6 ounces
other smoked sausage, thinly sliced
4 cups shredded fresh kale, chard or 4 cups
collard greens, washed and dried
fresh lemon juice
- Over medium heat in a large soup pot, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic cloves and cooked for about 5-10 minutes, or until tender, but not browned.
- Stir in the stock, potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the potatoes are soft. This should take about 20 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and lightly mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the meat, stirring occasionally, and cook until browned.
- Add the meat to the pot. Pour 1 cup of the soup into the skillet to remove the browned bits and return to the soup pot.
- Simmer 5 minutes, then stir in the greens.
- Simmer 5 more minutes and stir in lemon juice.
- Serve while hot.