fresh flat leaf parsley
- TO PREPARE YOUR PASTA:.
- Remove the outer green leaves from the cauliflower and discard.
- Slice the end off the cauliflower stalk.
- Cut the head into small florets.
- Halve the thick stalk lengthways then slice thinly.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and parmesan into a large bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley stalks and leaves.
- TO COOK YOUR PASTA:.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- Add the macaroni and all of your cauliflower and cook according to the macaroni packet instructions.
- Place the bowl of cheese over the saucepan and add the creme fraiche.
- Carefully stir every so often until the cheese is smooth and melted.
- If the water boils up underneath the bowl, just turn the heat down slightly.
- Add all the chopped parsley to the melted cheese and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Carefully remove the bowl of cheese using a towel or oven gloves and set aside.
- Drain the macaroni in a colander over a bowl, reserving the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pan, pour in the melted cheese and stir.
- It should have a lovely silky consistency, but if it's too thick, add a splas of your cooking water to thin it out a bit.
- At this point you can either serve the macaroni as it is, or finish it under the grill to make it crispy and golden on top.
- To do this, preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Add 150ml of the reserved cooking water to the macaroni, stir in, then transfer to a baking dish.
- Place under the grill until golden and bubbling.
- TO SERVE YOUR PASTA:.
- Divide the pasta between plates or bowls, or place the baking dish in the middle of the table next to a nice green salad and let everyone help themselves.