( see related recipe)
chicken liver, trimmed of any visible fat and membrane
onion, coarsely chopped
( about 1 cup)
eggs, hard-cooked and chopped
fresh ground black pepper
toasted rye bread
cornichon, for serving
- Prepare the Schmaltz as directed in the recipe. Rinse the livers and pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a large saute pan set over meidum heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the Schmaltz and saute the livers until browned, turning once, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side. They should be just barely pink inside. Don't overcook them or they will be dry. Transfer the livers to a cutting board to cool.
- Using the same pan, heat another 2 tablespoons of the Schmaltz and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked onions and livers to the bowl of a food processor. Add the eggs, salt, pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons of Schmaltz. Pulse 6 to 8 times, until coarsely chopped. Do not puree. Taste for seasoning and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with toast, crackers, or mazto and cornichons.