( about 12 cups)
cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons
American cheese, cubed
- Cook cabbage in salted water until tender; drain thoroughly.
- In a large skillet, sauté onion in 4 Tbsp.
- of butter until tender.
- Add soup and cheese, heat and stir until melted.
- Stir in cabbage (salt& pepper if desired).
- Transfer to an un-greased 2-quart baking dish.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining 1 Tbsp.
- butter; stir in breadcrumbs.
- Brown lightly.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350ºF.
- for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.