bicarbonate of soda
- Combine all ingredients in a large heavybase saucepan & stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1.5 hours stiring every 15 minutes. Skim off any foam that is on the surface
- The mix should have thickened and changed colour.
- For the next hour stir the mix every 5 minutes. A thin caramel will form as the time passes.
- For the last 30 minutes stir constantly. The caramel should be as thick as jam when a teaspoon of it is left in the fridge for 2 minutes.
- Continue to cook until this consistency is reached.
- Strain through a sieve and cool.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.