yellow sweet onion, thinly sliced
yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and julienned
ground black pepper
part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch skillet until hot.
- Remove mushroom stems and slice mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices.
- Cook in skillet until tender and browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper, and water.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar; remove from heat.
- Gently stir in sliced mushrooms; set aside.
- Place pitas on a large cookie sheet; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Heat pitas until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Evenly distribute vegetables and mushrooms on the pitas; roll each pita into a cone and tightly wrap the bottom half of each with foil to hold shape & prevent leakage.