grated cheddar cheese
1 -2 tablespoon
( basil or parlsey, can substitute 1/4 tsp dried)
fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups
baking mix such as Bisquick
( good clones or substitutes on Zaar)
ripe tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
( best if using center slices drained 10 minutes if extra juicy)
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Thoroughly mix mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, minced onions, herbs and pepper; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together baking mix, baking powder, buttermilk and water.
- With floured fingers, pat mixture into the bottom and sides of a lightly greased and floured 9" pie pan.
- Bake crust 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Arrange tomato slices on top of crust to completely cover; cut smaller pieces of tomato to fill in gaps. At this point you may want to lightly salt the tomatoes.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake until biscuit is nicely browned and top is bubbly, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and served still warm or if made ahead, briefly reheat in low oven.
- Refrigerate leftovers.