FOR THE BLONDIES
2 3/4 cups
firm silken tofu
( half a package of the vacuum-packed kind)
1/4 cup rice or 1/4 cup
( very strict vegans will want to mind your sugar)
1 1/4 cups
macadamias, partially chopped & partially ground
( a few pulses in a food processor for chopped, remove some for this & below, then a few more for grou)
FOR THE TOPPING
( no whey, mind you)
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar or 2 tablespoons
other brown sugar
pure maple syrup
raw macadamias, coarsely chopped
( either from first round in the food processor or chopped by hand on a cutting board with a large kni)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- To prepare the dough:.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a blender, whiz the tofu with rice milk until smooth.
- Add the oil, sugar, and vanilla, and blend again.
- Pour the tofu mixture into the flour mixture and use a firm wooden spoon to combine everything well.
- Fold in the macadamias. The batter will be thick and have a cookie dough consistency.
- Spread in the baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the topping.
- To prepare the topping:.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the margarine, turbinado sugar, and maple syrup, and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat to bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in the nuts. Remove from heat.
- Remove the blondies from the oven and pour the topping over them.
- Return to oven, and let bake for 10 more minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving. The topping should harden to a caramel-like consistency.
- The cookbook says to cut them into 16 squares or triangles. I got 20 out of the recipe. ENJOY!