egg whites, room-temperature
cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place whites in large bowl. Beat whites with electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until egg whites are still and glossy, but not dry.
- With rubber spatula, gently fold sugar, coconut, and almond extract into egg whites. DO NOT STIR.
- Drop batter by teaspoonful onto parchment paper - about 1 inch apart. Bake macaroons for 20-25 minutes, until they look dry on top.
- Dampen tea towel, remove parchment paper with macaroons from cookie sheet, and place them on the damp tea towel and cool completely. This allows the bottoms of the macaroons to cool quickly.
- Peel macaroons off and enjoy!