great northern bean
2 -3 quarts
salt and pepper
- Start in the morning.
- Empty bag of beans into a strainer and clean, removing any bad ones and tossing them away.
- Pour beans and bacon to a dutch oven or stock pot. Add water til it's about 2 inch or so above the beans.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring ocationally and adding water as needed, til beans are tender. Around 4-5 hours.
- Lower heat to low and season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue simmering until ready to serve. Soups should thicken as it simmers.
- Remove bacon before serving.