dried black beans
celery ribs, minced
sweet red pepper, minced
jalapeno pepper, minced
- Soak black beans overnight or for at least eight hours.
- Rinse beans thoroughly and place in Dutch oven. Cover with water. Bring beans just to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer. Continue to add water as needed to keep the water level just above the beans. Simmer until beans are tender. About 90 minutes.
- When beans are tender, add the lime juice, cumin and garlic powder.
- Sauté all minced vegetables in vegetable oil until barely tender. Cover vegetables with vegetable broth and simmer until vegetables are very tender.
- Place vegetables with broth and 1/3 of black beans into a blender. Blend very well until the mixture is very smooth.
- Pour vegetable/bean puree back into bean mixture and if necessary, add a more vegetable broth if mixture seems too thick.
- If the soup is not to your thickness preference, mix cornstarch with equal parts cold water and mix with a spoon until well incorporated. Pour cornstarch/water mixture into bean soup, while simmering until the soup is the consistency you like.
- Top with regular or vegan sour cream, for a special touch and enjoy! Best served with a delicious grilled cheese sandwich (whole wheat and havarti).