small white pea beans
ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups
- Soak beans overnight to cut down on cooking time. Drain and place in a 4 quart bean pot.
- Mix seasonings and Maple Syrup together and stir into beans. Add enough water to cover.
- Peel Onion and remove root and blossom ends. Push whole onion down into beans and place the salt pork next to it.
- Bake covered in a 250 degree oven for about 8 hours.
- Check on them every hour or so and see if you need to add water so they never dry out. When finished if you want the sauce to be thicker then you can always stir in some refried bean flakes and let sit to thicken.