piece baguette, cut into small pieces
butter, cut into 5 pieces
ground black pepper
fresh parsley, minced
large shrimp, peeled and deveined
vegetable oil, divided
red pepper flakes
1/3 cup dry sherry or 1/3 cup
clam juice, bottled
fresh lemon juice
- Pulse bread in a food processor until coarsely chopped,some larger crumbs remaining; there should be about 1 cup of crumbs.
- In a 12" skillet, melt 2 Tbs. butter over medium heat. Add crumbs, shallots,1/8 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoons pepper.
- Cook and stir until crumbs are golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 Tbs. parsley and transfer crumbs to a plate to cool.
- Wipe out the skillet with paper toweling.
- Thoroughly dry shrimp n paper toweling. Sprinkle shrimp with sugar, 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper.
- Heat skillet over high heat and add 2 teaspoons oil and heat to shimmering.
- Add HALF the shrimp in a single layer and cook until it's spotty brown and edges are pink (do not flip shrimp!).
- Remove pan from heat and transfer shrimp to a large plate.
- Wipe out skillet with paper toweling and repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shrimp, transferring it to the plate with the first batch of shrimp.
- Wipe out skillet, return to medium heat and melt 1 Tbs. butter in the pan.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cooking and stirring for about a minute (don't let the garlic burn!).
- Add the flour and cook about a minute then slowly add the clam juice and sherry (or wine), stirring constantly.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce to about 3/4 cup, 3 - 4 minutes. then stir in remaining 3 Tbs. butter, 1 Tbs. at a time, to add shine to the sauce.
- Stir in lemon juice and remaining 1 Tbs. parsley.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and return shrimp to sauce and toss to coat.
- Cook covered for 2 or 3 minutes until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs.
- Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.