white pearl onions, tip and root ends cut off
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the pecan halves on a baking sheet and toast for 7 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool.
- Remove the outer leaves of the brussel sprouts and trim the stems. If any of them are large cut in half.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Blanch the onions for one minute, and then drain and peel the outer layer of skin from each onion.
- In a small bowl combine the water, maple syrup and mustard and whisk.
- Heat a medium sized skillet before adding snything first; then add the oil, onions, and brussel sprouts and saute for a few minutes or until the sprouts begin to brown.
- Add the syrup mixture to the skillet, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook until the sprouts are tender and the liquid has turned to a glaze, which should take 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the pecans, add the salt and pepper and serve while hot.