butter, melted cooled
mixed dried fruit, small pieces
orange, zest of
lemon, zest of
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm milk.
- In a large bowl put sugar, flour, egg yolks, butter rum add yeast mixture and using a wooden spoon stir all ingredients together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hands until comes together than add dry fruit (chopped into small pieces), candied fruit, anise, nutmeg, almonds and zests.
- Knead until you have moderately stiff and smooth dough. About 8-10 minutes.
- Shape into a ball. Place into greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rise in a warm place until double in size about 1 1/2 hours.
- After that punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out into rectangle 4cm thick and then fold the long side over by half and other side over the first half (like business letter).
- Carefully transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Let it rest for 20 minutes covered with towel.
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Bake until golden brown about 30-40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- While still hot brush with melted butter and sift a lot of icing sugar over the top.