( or as needed to cover bottom of the saucepan can use butter or half of each)
onion, finely chopped
garlic cloves, chopped
( can use more)
1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans
cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 1/2 cups
grated parmesan cheese
( more to mix in after cooking if desired)
uncooked long grain white rice
fresh ground black pepper
( or to taste)
( optional and to taste)
- Set oven to 400 degrees F (or 350 degrees F for air-convection oven).
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Heat oil in a medium oven-proof saucepan over medium-high heat; add in onion and saute until softened (about 4 minutes).
- Add in garlic; cook stirring for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the next 5 ingredients; stir over medium heat until smooth and bubbly.
- Mix in the rice, then season with black pepper and salt.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir the mixture ( the saucepan will be hot so handle carefully holding with a tea towel).
- Return to oven and continue baking uncovered for another 10-15 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- You may mix in more Parmesan cheese if desired.
- The rice is best if served immediately.