semi-sweet chocolate chips
instant coffee granules
unsweetened cocoa powder
rainbow candy sprinkles
- Into each of 4 mugs, place 1 T chips and 1 t coffee; reserve.
- In a medium pot, whisk together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk in 2 T water until blended.
- Over medium heat, bring mixture to simmer; cook; whisking occasionally, until syrupy, 5 minutes.
- Whisk in 2 cups milk; cook, whisking constantly, until very hot but not boiling.
- Pour 1/4 cup hot cocoa mixture into each mug; stir until chips are melted.
- In microwave-safe measuring cup, microwave remaining 1 cup milk on high in 15-second intervals until hot; stir into remaining cocoa mixture.
- Transfer mixture to blender.
- With lid firmly held on, carefully blend mixture until frothy.
- Dividing evenly, spoon over hot chocolate in mugs.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired.