bulk Italian sausage
sliced fresh mushrooms
potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 (10 ounce) packages
frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 1/2 cups
grated parmesan cheese
garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups
shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is browned; drain and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan and egg; set aside.
- In a saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and the optional nutmeg until blended.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Layer half the potatoes in a greased 11x7 inch casserole dish.
- Top with half of the spinach mixture, sausage mixture, white sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Layer with remaining potatoes, spinach, sausage, and white sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.