garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups
low sodium chicken broth
ground black pepper
russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick or less
parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub bottom and sides of 5- to 6-cup gratin dish or shallow baking dish with garlic. Mince remaining garlic and set aside. Once garlic in dish has dried, about 2 minutes,spread dish with half the butter.
- Bring broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, cayenne (if desired), potatoes, other herbs if you are using and reserved garlic to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon (liquid will just barely cover potatoes). Reduce heat and simmer until liquid thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Pour potato mixture into prepared dish; shake dish or use fork to distribute potatoes evenly. Gently press down potatoes until submerged in liquid; dot with remaining butter.
- Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes until golden brown, basting once or twice during first 45 minutes and topping with grated parmesan cheese after 45 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes and serve.