1 1/2-2 lbs
( 6 to 8 medium, halved and thinly sliced or chopped)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 tablespoons
butter, plus more as needed
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place sliced onions in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cover and cook, stirring infrequently, until they are dry and almost sticking to the pan (about 20 min).
- Now stir in the oil or butter plus a large pinch of salt.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally and adding oil or butter as needed to keep them from sticking without getting greasy, for 40 to 60 minutes, depending on how you want them.(See Notes at end on directions).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- After 20 minutes the onions will be ivory coloured, softened and onionly tasting.
- After 25 to 30 minutes the onions will be golden in colour, wilted and sweet with a bit of onion sharpness.
- After 40 to 45 minutes the onions should be brown and starting to melt. They will now be sweet.
- After 60 minutes the will have the colour of maple syrup and the consistency and flavour than is something like a jam.