4 1/2 cups
finely chopped onion
2 1/2 tablespoons
dark chocolate, chopped
( I usually use Hershey Special Dark, it has a sweetness that mellows the sauce)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over med.
- low heat.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon.
- Cover and cook until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in chili powder and flour, stir for 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth.
- Increase heat to med. high.
- Boil until reduced, about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in chocolate; season with salt and pepper, if desired.