2 1/2 cups
garlic clove, minced
freshly grated parmigiano
butter, to grease the pan
- Make a balsamella by melting the butter in a heavy saucepan on low heat. When the butter reaches the frothing point add the flour. Mix well with a spoon and let cook until the color is a light brown -- don't over cook -- undercooking is preferable -- meanwhile heat the milk in a small pan -- when the milk is warm add a little at a time to the flour mixture -- the origional recipe calls for adding all the milk at once but I find I get less lumps if I add a little at a time whisking continuously -- your goal is a nice creamy sauce. Remove from heat an cover until needed.
- Make sure spinach is clean and cut out any tough stems. Chop coarsely.
- Place olive oil in a pan and warm on medium heat. Add the garlic and spinach. Toss and cook until wilted and the garlic is lightly browned.
- Toss the spinach with the balsamella. Add the cheese, nutmeg salt and pepper to taste.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 13 1/2 X 8 3/4 inch baking dish.
- Pour the spinach mixture into the dish and bake in a preheated 375 F oven for about 25 minutes. The top should be a little brown and bubbling.