loosely packed fresh rosemary leaf, finely chopped
garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or 3/4 teaspoon
coarse kosher salt
1 (4 -6 lb)
roasting chickens, 4-6 pounds, butterflied, backbone and neck removed
( can reserve for homemade chicken stock )
whole fresh rosemary sprigs
fresh lemon juice
- Combine chopped rosemary and next 4 ingredients in mortar and crush with pestle or blend in mini processor until coarse paste forms. Mix in oil and lemon juice.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. Rub 1 teaspoon herb mixture over bone side of chicken. Turn chicken over and open like a book; place chicken, skin side up, on work surface. Carefully loosen skin from breast and thigh meat; rub herb mixture under skin. Rub any remaining herb mixture on outside of chicken. If you don't have enough herb mixture, make sure to rub some oil and lemon to cover the outside of the chicken.
- Place rosemary sprigs in 13x9x2-inch ceramic or glass baking dish. Place chicken, skin side up, on top of rosemary sprigs in dish.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before roasting.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Roast chicken uncovered until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 170°F, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer chicken to platter, let rest for at least 10 minutes, then serve.