cabbage, about 4 pounds
lean ground beef
salt and pepper
- To make filling: Combine ground meats, onion, rice [uncooked], egg, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Cabbage: Fill large pot with enough water to cover cabbage. Bring water to a boil. Trim any damaged outer leaves from cabbage. Stick a large fork into core of cabbage, and place in boiling water, holding onto fork. With a small sharp knife, loosen and remove outer leaves as they become soft and pliable. Chop remaining cabbage, that is too small to roll, set aside.
- Alternatively, cabbage can be placed in a large bowl and covered with boiling water for about 5 minutes-this process can be repeated if necessary.
- Rolls: cut off thick edge of the stem. Put about 2 tablespoons of filling on a leaf, fold sides in and roll from thick end of leaf.
- Assembly: Place1/2 tomato paste. if using on bottom of pan, or cover bottom of pan with some tomatoes or tomato juice. Place rolls, seam side down in the pot. Add sauerkraut , tomatoes and remaining chopped cabbage. Repeat layering process, leaving layer of tomatoes and sauerkraut on top. If using paste, fill pot with water til rolls are covered. If using tomatoes or juice, water may be added too.
- Bring pot to boiling, cover tightly and simmer gently for 11/2-2hours or til cabbage is tender.
- Measure out 1 cup of cooking liquid. Mix 2 tablespoons of melted shortening or oil and 2 tablespoons of flour in saucepan. Gradually add the cooking liquid. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and bubbles for 1 minute. Pour over cabbage in pot; simmer 5 minutes.
- Best served the next day. Great with mashed potatoes and seeded rye bread.
- Can be prepared in slow cooker on low for 6-8hours.
- Canned tomatoes or tomato juice can be substituted for paste.