- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks with the sugar. Stir until thick (once its mixed well it will be thick).
- In a saucepan, scald the milk (bring slowly to a boil).
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan (I use a larger saucepan for this part) and heat gently, stirring until the custard thickens. Be careful not to bring it to a boil or it will curdle. When you can see a film form over the back of the spoon, remove the saucepan from the heat. Let cool.
- Once cool, stir the heavy cream and vanilla extract into the custard mixture.
- Take out the ice cream maker's frozen bowl and set it into the ice cream maker. Put in the arm. Put the top on. Turn the ice cream maker on. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker. You will have yummy ice cream in 25 minutes.