( or as needed to coat the bottom of the pot)
1 (3 -4 lb)
boneless beef chuck roast
seasoning salt or
fresh ground black pepper
green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 (8 ounce) cans
1 cup beef broth or 1 cup
( no substitutes, can use bottled lemon juice)
( or to taste)
1 1/2 teaspoons
( add in for some heat and adjust to taste)
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine all the sauce ingredients together until smooth and well combined, start with 1/3 cup brown sugar if you prefer a sweeter taste you can always add in more during cooking.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat (use enough oil to cover the bottom of your Dutch oven).
- Season the roast liberally with seasoned salt and fresh ground black pepper; add to the pot and brown well on all sides, then remove to a plate or bowl.
- Add in onions and bell pepper; saute for about 3-4 minutes or until softened).
- Add in the sauce; bring to a medium simmer.
- Add the roast back to the pot and turn a few times to coat in the sauce.
- Cover with a lid then transfer to oven.
- Cook for about 3 to 3-1/2 hours turning the roast over every hour of cooking or you may turn halfway through cooking (cooking times will vary depending on the size of your roast).
- Remove the roast to a cutting board and slice thinly, transfer to a serving platter.
- Remove any fat the has accumulated on top of the sauce, then drizzle some on top of the beef slices.
- Serve remaining sauce on the side.