fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced
fresh cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chicken soup base or 3
chicken bouillon cubes
dried thyme leaves
scallion, finely chopped
whipping cream, 35%
minced fresh parsley
( to garnish)
- Rinse both mushrooms in cold water and immediately pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut mushrooms into quarters and then slice thinly, 1/8 inch thick.
- In a large heavy bottom soup pot, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 5 to 6 minutes or until liquid from the mushrooms has mostly evaporated.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth, water and chicken soup base and bring to boil, about 5 minutes, stirring often so the bottom does not burn.
- Add thyme, bay leaf and green onions.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and whipping cream.
- Slowly add 1 cup of hot broth mixture from the soup pot to the egg/cream mixture, whisking constantly until incorporated. This prevents the egg yolks from cooking.
- Return mixture to the soup pot, adding slowly and whisking all the time while adding.
- Heat over low heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Add white pepper to taste.
- Serve soup sprinkled with minced parsley.