1 (4 -4 1/2 lb)
fresh roasting chickens
garlic clove, minced
( more if you desire)
fresh thyme leave, minced
fresh ground black pepper
3/4 cup dry Chardonnay wine or 3/4
sauvignon blanc wine
- Remove giblets from chicken; discard.
- Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry.
- Cut off and discard excess skin and fat around body cavity.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper.
- With your fingers, gently loosen skin over breast, being careful not to tear skin.
- Gently rub thyme mixture evenly over breast meat beneath skin.
- Prepare barbecue grill and preheat for indirect-heat cooking.
- Rinse can (12-ounce soda or beer can) and shake dry.
- Pour wine into can, then carefully lower chicken over can until can is inside body cavity; Gently pull legs forward so chicken stands upright on can.
- Carefully set chicken and can, in this upright position, on center of grill (not over direct heat); cover charcoal grill and open vents; close lid on gas grill.
- Cook until and instant-read meat thermometer inserted through thickest part of breast to bone reaches 160*, about 1 hour.
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove chicken with can from grill, keeping it upright.
- Let chicken stand on can for 15 minutes, then, holding a towel around the can to steady it and protect your hands, with a large carving fork, carefully remove chicken from can to a carving platter or carving board.
- Carve chicken and serve, adding salt and pepper to taste.