1 1/4 lbs
2 -3 large
spicy sausage links
5 1/2 cups light vegetable stock or 5 1/2 cups
salt and pepper
mild shredded cheese
fresh finely chopped parsley, and
sharp cheddar cheese or
potato crouton (see below)
- Cube the potatoes, and finely chop the leeks and celery. Mince the garlic. Cut the sausage into small pieces.
- Melt 2 TBSP of the butter in your soup pot on low heat. First, add the garlic, cooking until fragrant.
- Add the meat, cooking, but not browning. Then add the rest of the butter.
- Add the vegetables and cook on low for about 10 minutes while stirring frequently. The butter should be absorbed, but the vegetables should not brown.
- Add about three quarters of the stock (until the stock level just covers the vegetables), and simmer until everything is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a blender in a few batches, flash-puree the soup (you may need to use a second pot to pour the pureed soup into), and return it all to the pot. Add more stock to adjust the consistency if you need to.
- Add the cream and small handful of mild cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Then gradually add a few dashes of coriander until it tastes right.
- To make the potato croutons for garnishing, use 1 or 2 potatoes, cut to small cubes, seasoned with lots of paprika and some cayenne pepper and salt, and fry in a generous amount of vegetable oil until crisp.
- Serve in shallow soup bowls. Put the shredded or chunks of sharp cheese on top, along with a large spoonful of the parsley-scallion mix and the potato croutons. Stir up and enjoy!