all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
plus more cup whole milk
( do not use low fat)
- Preheat the oven to 425* F.
- Do not mix your wet and dry ingredients together until the oven is very hot or you will not have fluffy biscuits.
- After the oven is screaming hot, sift dry ingredients together and stir to make sure they are mixed well.
- Add shortening to the biscuit mix and cut in with a pastry cutter or two knives until the lumps are as small peas.
- Add the cold milk and stir until it barely clings together.
- By hand, knead three or four times.
- Turn out onto a floured board and pat into a disk about 1/2 inch high.
- Cut with a floured jelly jar ( 2 1/2"), give the tops a gentle poke, re-roll scraps and cut, sprinkle each top with a little flour.
- Place biscuits on a sheet pan or cookie sheet with parchment. The closer you put them together the softer they are. I don't let mine touch usually.
- Put into the center of the oven.
- Bake about 11 minutes. Depending on the size of the biscuits you can bake them from 8 to 15 minutes. So keep an eye on them.
- This recipe can easily double or even quadruple.