firm good quality white bread, such as Pepperidge Farms
( from seafood department of market)
garlic clove, finely chopped
freshly-squeezed lemon juice
finely chopped fresh parsley
- To make toast points:
- Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Remove crusts from 6 slices of bread and lightly butter one side with melted butter. Place bread slices, buttered sides up, in a large shallow baking pan and cook until golden brown around edges, 6-8 minutes. Be sure to check often to make sure toast isn't getting too dark. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- When cool, cut each slice diagonally into 4 triangles. (Note: toast points can be made 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container.).
- To make sauteed oysters:.
- Drain oysters and pick out any pieces of shell. Whisk the eggs and water in a small bowl. Dredge oysters in flour, dip them into the egg mixture, and then in crumbs. This may be done up to an hour in advance of cooking and kept refrigerated until ready to cook.
- Heat butter in skillet and saute chopped garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add oysters and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Remove oysters and keep warm.
- Add lemon juice, worcestershire, tabasco, wine and salt. Heat quickly over high heat. Place oysters on toast points and pour pan juices over oysters. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.