boneless skinless chicken, cut into pieces
green onions, sliced
tart cooking apples, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups
whole wheat penne
chopped fresh chives, to top with
grated sharp cheddar cheese, to top with
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, brown the chicken strips in batches and then transfer into a bowl.
- Spray skillet again, and add green onions, apples, nutmeg, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring for about 3 minutes to soften.
- Add vinegar, scraping any bits stuck to pan.
- Stir in evaporated milk and cranberries, bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook whole wheat pasta for about 10 minutes or until at your desired tenderness. Drain and return to the pot.
- Add chicken and any accumulated juices to the sauce; simmer for about three minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Pour over pasta and toss to coat. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with chives and with cheddar cheese in side dish to top with, along with a side salad and bread. Dont let it sit to long in pot before serving -- the pasta will absorb the sauce.