cream of tartar
pure vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until light and frothy.
- With mixer running slowly, add 2 Tbls sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, corn syrup and remaining 2/3 c of sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Cook, stirring, until mixture reaches the firm ball stage (between 242 F and 248 F), about 6 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat.
- With mixer on low, slowly add hot syrup to egg white mixture.
- Increase mixture speed to high and continue beating for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and continue to beat until mixture looks like marshmallow cream, about 1 minute more.
- Store in glass jar with air-tight lid on countertop.