1 3/8 cups
water, room temperature
1 1/2 tablespoons
1 1/2 teaspoons
active dry yeast
- Add all ingredients to your bread machine as your directions instruct.
- Mine go like this:.
- Add liquid ingredients to bread pan.
- Add all dry ingredients, except yeast, to bread pan.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and carefully add the yeast into the well.
- Select the "French" setting on your machine.
- Select crust color, if applicable.
- Press start!
- OVEN METHOD:.
- To make loaves in the oven, use the "Dough" cycle on your machine.
- When cycle is complete, punch dough down and divide into 2 equal parts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a rectangle, about 10 x 15.
- Starting at the long side, roll each rectangle, jelly roll style, into a tight, long loaf. Seal seams and ends by pinching dough together.
- Place loaves seam sides down on a large, ungreased baking sheet. You may sprinkle some cornmeal or flour on the pan under where you'll be placing the loaves.
- Cover loaves with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, until almost double in size.
- Preheat oven to 375*. Place a pan of hot water on the bottom rack of your oven. This will create steam inside the oven while the bread is baking to give you an authentic crust.
- Using a very sharp knife, carefully make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes in each loaf, cutting about 1/2 inch down into dough.
- If you choose, at this time you can carefully brush on an egg white glaze (one egg white beaten with 1 tbl. of water) and sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion or garlic, etc., if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (or until loaves sound hollow when tapped) on middle oven rack.
- Cool on wire racks and serve warm.